In order to get all your data transferred to your new PC, which runs on Windows 7, Microsoft allows you to make use of the software Windows Easy Transfer. The software will automatically generate a single file containing all your data which can then be transferred to the other PC using either LAN or to an external hard disk via a USB port. The use of this software is geared primarily to PC owners having XP because without this it is impossible to upgrade to Windows 7 without formatting everything. Windows Vista users can also use the program to make an easy transition to Windows 7.
The use of this software is very simple and helps you move your user accounts, documents (music, photos, videos etc), your email and favorites.The software will save all your data in standard locations but you can also select custom folders and directories.
Use the appropriate links below to download Windows Easy Transfer :
- Transfer Data from windows Xp(32 Bit) to Windows 7
- Transfer Data from Windows XP (64 Bit) to windows 7
- Transfer Data from Windows Vista(32 bit) to Windows 7
- Transfer Data from Windows Vista(64 bit) to Windows 7
- Transferring Data from Windows 7 to Windows 7 does not require you to download any additional software,since Windows Easy Transfer is built-in.
Back up your Data
After downloading and installing the software, click on Next to proceed with backing up your data from your old computer first. Here you will need to select the mode of transfer: Cable, LAN/Internet or External media storage(Pen Drive,External Hard Disk).In our example ,i have selected to move my data to an external media storage.
On the next screen , select ‘This is my old computer’. The software will then analyze the different data that need to be saved . Please note that this step might take a few minutes depending on the amount of data on your hard disk.
In this new window it is possible to save everything by clicking Next or to select only some of the data to be saved bu clicking on Customize and then Advanced.
After selecting the files and folders you want to save,you can add a password to prevent others opening your backup files. However , this is optional.Leave the password field blank in case you don’t want to add a password and click on Save.The back up process will now start and will be available in a single file with the extension MIG .
Restore your data
1. After moving the back up file ( with the MIG extension) on a pendrive or external harddisk,plug in into your new computer which uses Windows 7.Click on Start Menu and search for ‘Windows Easy Transfer‘.If the transfer is being made on a laptop make sure that you have enough battery since this step may take long.
2. Click on Next and then select an external hard disk or USB flash drive when you are asked from where you want to transfer the items to your computer. Then click on ‘This is my new computer’.
3. Look for your backup file in the MIG format then click on open. The folder will be transferred and the software will require you to select the items that you need to restore.