If you bought a new Windows 8 computer, you might be interested in moving your files and settings from your old computer to the new one. In this post, I’ll show you how can transfer your files, User Profiles and Settings from Windows 7 to Windows 8 safely and easily.
Transfer files to Windows 8
A few month back, I explained how you can move your files from one computer to another using Windows Easy Transfer. The steps involved in transferring files to Windows 8 is somewhat similar. For those who don’t know, Windows Easy Transfer is a built-in migration tool to transfer your files and settings from one computer to another.
The software automatically generates a single file ( .MIG Format ) containing all your data, which can then be transferred to the other PC using either LAN or to an external hard disk or pen drive.
Back up your Data
- 1.From your Windows 7 PC, launch Windows Easy Transfer by typing it into the Start Search bar.
- 2.After opening the application, click
Nextto proceed with backing up your data first. You will be required to choose your file transfer method. In our example, I have selected to move my data to an external hard disk ( 3rd option).
- 3.On the next screen, select
This is my old computer. The software will then analyse the different data that need to be saved. Please note that this step might take a few minutes depending on the amount of data on your hard disks.
- 4.Once the scan is completed, you will see all the files that will be transferred to Windows 8. Clicking on
Customizewill give you more flexibility as to which files you want to transfer or discard.
- 5.Now that you have backed up all your files and Settings, you are now ready to transfer your files to Windows 8. Just like Windows 7, Windows 8 also comes with Windows Easy Transfer. From the Metro screen, press Windows key + C to bring the charm bar. You should see a bunch of new options. Click on
Searchand type “Windows Easy Transfer”.
- 6.Once the application is opened, click
An external hard disk or USB flash drive
- 7.Then choose
This is my new PCand make sure you have connected your external hard disk or pen drive at this stage.
- 8.Select the .MIG file containing all your backup and click on
Transferto transfer your data to Windows 8.
However, if you are transferring file to a Windows 8 PC at your workplace, you are probably on a network, and you should choose the second option.
After selecting the files and folders you want to back up, you can add a password to prevent others opening your backup files. However, this is optional. Leave it blank in case you don’t want to add a password and click on
Save. The backup process will now start and will be available in a single file with the extension MIG.
Restore your Data
Congratulation! You now have all your data transferred to Windows 8. Although there exist some third-party applications that allow you to transfer files to Windows 8, I believe that none can be compared to Windows Easy Transfer. If you are stuck at some point, feel free to leave me a comment below, I'll do my best to help you